At Lowe Stillages & Cages, we prioritise safety when it comes to loading and unloading stillages. In this blog post, we provide a comprehensive guide to help employers establish safe procedures in compliance with PUWER regulations. By following these steps, you can create a safer working environment, reduce the risk of accidents, and ensure proper handling of stillages.
- Conduct a Risk Assessment: Assess the risks associated with loading and unloading stillages, including manual handling injuries, falls, and falling objects.
- Determine Proper Equipment: Provide appropriate equipment, such as forklifts or pallet jacks, in good working condition for safe loading and unloading.
- Develop Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs): Create written procedures outlining step-by-step instructions for safe loading and unloading, considering load weights and specific precautions.
- Training and Instruction: Provide comprehensive training on equipment use, safe lifting techniques, load stability, and teamwork during operations.
- Ensure Adequate Space: Clear obstacles and provide sufficient space for safe manoeuvring and positioning of stillages during loading and unloading.
- Secure Stillages during Unloading: Implement procedures to prevent unintended movement or tipping of stillages during unloading.
- Communicate Load Capacity: Emphasise load capacity limits and the risks of overloading to employees involved in loading and unloading.
- Promote Manual Handling Best Practices: Train employees on safe manual handling techniques and encourage the use of mechanical aids or assistance when necessary.
- Personal Protective Equipment (PPE): Provide appropriate PPE and train employees on its correct use and maintenance.
- Regular Inspections and Maintenance: Inspect equipment regularly and address any issues promptly. Keep records of inspections and maintenance activities.
- Ongoing Review and Improvement: Continuously review and improve procedures based on feedback, incident reports, and changes in regulations.
By following these steps, employers can establish safe loading and unloading procedures for stillages in compliance with PUWER guidelines. At Lowe Stillages & Cages, we emphasise the importance of safety and proper handling. Prioritising these practices ensures a safer working environment, reduces accidents and injuries, and promotes the efficient use of stillages.