At Lowe Stillages & Cages, we prioritise the safety and well-being of employees. In this blog post, we provide a step-by-step guide to train employees on safe stillage handling in compliance with PUWER regulations. By following these steps, employers can foster a safety-conscious culture, mitigate risks, and ensure compliance with relevant guidelines.
- Develop a Tailored Training Program: Design a comprehensive training program that addresses the specific needs and tasks involved in stillage handling.
- Identify Training Objectives: Clearly define training objectives, including understanding PUWER regulations, hazard recognition, proper lifting techniques, and safe stacking and storage procedures.
- Educate on PUWER Regulations: Provide in-depth training on the applicable PUWER regulations, emphasising responsibilities and legal obligations related to stillage handling.
- Hazard Identification: Train employees to identify potential hazards associated with stillages and recognise signs of instability, overloading, and damaged components.
- Safe Lifting Techniques: Instruct employees on safe lifting and handling techniques, emphasising proper body mechanics, teamwork, and effective communication.
- Stacking and Storage Procedures: Provide guidance on safe stacking and storage procedures, including aligning stillages, distributing weight evenly, and following recommended stacking heights.
- Equipment Familiarisation: Ensure employees are familiar with stillage handling equipment, such as forklift trucks or pallet jacks, and provide training on their proper operation and maintenance.
- Personal Protective Equipment (PPE): Emphasise the importance of using appropriate PPE and provide training on the correct use and maintenance of safety gloves, footwear, and other protective gear.
- Practical Demonstrations and Exercises: Reinforce training concepts through practical demonstrations and exercises, allowing employees to gain hands-on experience in various stillage handling scenarios.
- Supervised Practice and Feedback: Allow employees to practice their skills under supervision, providing constructive feedback to improve techniques and address unsafe behavior or practices.
- Ongoing Refresher Training: Schedule regular refresher training sessions to reinforce safe stillage handling practices and update employees on any changes in regulations or procedures.
- Documentation: Maintain comprehensive records of employee training, including attendance sheets, training materials, and assessments, as evidence of compliance with PUWER requirements.
By following these steps, employers can ensure employees are trained to handle stillages safely, promoting a culture of safety, reducing the risk of accidents or injuries, and ensuring compliance with PUWER regulations. At Lowe Stillages & Cages, we prioritise safety and offer reliable stillage solutions to support your safe handling operations.