At Lowe Stillages & Cages, we prioritise the safety and compatibility of stillages with the materials or goods being stored. In this blog post, we present a step-by-step guide to help you assess stillage compatibility in accordance with PUWER regulations. By following these steps, you can ensure safe storage practices, prevent damage, and maintain compliance.
- Identify the Materials or Goods: Determine the specific characteristics of the materials or goods to be stored, including weight, shape, size, fragility, and handling requirements.
- Review Manufacturer Specifications: Refer to the manufacturer’s specifications and guidelines to understand the compatibility of their stillages with different types of materials or goods.
- Evaluate Load Capacity: Ensure that the stillages can safely support the weight of the load without compromising their structural integrity. Consider dynamic or concentrated load factors, if applicable.
- Consider Material Interactions: Assess potential chemical, corrosive, or reactive interactions between the stillages and the materials or goods. Implement additional protective measures if necessary.
- Review Material Handling Guidelines: Consult industry-specific guidelines to determine any additional requirements or considerations for the stillages used in storing specific materials or goods.
- Consult with Experts or Suppliers: Seek input from experts or suppliers to obtain valuable insights and recommendations based on their expertise and experience.
- Perform Testing or Trials: Conduct testing or trials if needed to evaluate the compatibility and performance of the stillages under typical storage conditions or load tests.
- Document and Maintain Records: Keep comprehensive records of the assessment process, including materials or goods, selected stillages, findings, and recommendations. These records demonstrate compliance and serve as a reference for future assessments.
By following these steps, employers can assess the compatibility of stillages with the materials or goods being stored, ensuring safe storage practices, preventing damage, and maintaining compliance with PUWER regulations. At Lowe Stillages & Cages, we emphasise the importance of compatibility to provide our customers with reliable and secure stillage solutions.