At Lowe Stillages & Cages, we prioritise employee safety and compliance with PUWER regulations. In this blog post, we provide a step-by-step guide to help employers ensure that employees understand the specific risks associated with stillage use. By following these steps, you can promote a safety-conscious culture, reduce accidents, and enhance risk awareness and compliance.
- Identify Potential Risks: Conduct a thorough risk assessment specific to stillage use, identifying hazards like manual handling injuries, falling objects, and improper storage.
- Communicate Hazard Information: Clearly communicate identified hazards and risks to employees, emphasising the consequences of not following safe practices.
- Training and Instruction: Provide comprehensive training on safe stillage use, covering proper lifting, stacking, load securing, and emergency procedures.
- Provide Written Guidelines: Develop written guidelines or SOPs outlining risks and safe work practices, making them easily accessible to employees.
- Visual Aids and Signage: Use posters, infographics, and safety signs to reinforce key messages and remind employees of safe practices and potential hazards.
- Individual and Group Discussions: Engage employees in discussions to address questions, concerns, and experiences related to stillage risks.
- Supervision and Observation: Regularly supervise stillage operations, provide feedback, and correct unsafe practices to reinforce risk awareness and compliance.
- Reporting and Incident Investigation: Establish a reporting system for employees to report near misses or incidents, investigating thoroughly and communicating findings.
- Ongoing Refresher Training: Conduct regular training sessions to refresh knowledge on stillage risks, regulations, and best practices.
- Document Training and Communication: Maintain records of training, safety meetings, and communication for compliance and future reference.
By following these steps, employers can ensure employees understand the risks associated with stillage use, fostering a safety-conscious environment, and promoting compliance with PUWER regulations. At Lowe Stillages & Cages, we prioritise employee safety and encourage all stakeholders to prioritise risk awareness and compliance in their stillage operations.