At Lowe Stillages & Cages, we understand that bespoke, custom-built stillages, post pallets or weldmesh containers are more than just ‘one size fits all’ products. We work closely with our customers to understand their specific needs and design the perfect solutions accordingly. Here, we outline ten key factors that we believe are essential when considering the design of your bespoke stillages.
- Load Capacity: It’s crucial to specify the maximum weight your stillages should support. This factor informs the suitable materials, dimensions, and necessary structural reinforcements. We factor in SWL/WLL and safety considerations when designing stillages for lifting operations.
- Size and Dimensions: The size and shape of the items to be stored or transported inform the dimensions of the stillages. We tailor the design to accommodate your specific items and fit within your designated storage or transportation space.
- Material Selection: Depending on factors such as load capacity, durability, and resistance to environmental conditions, we help you choose the best material for the stillages. We typically work with structural mild steel in grades S235, S275, S355.
- Structural Integrity: We ensure your stillages provide sufficient structural strength and stability. We consider reinforcements, bracing, and fully welded joints to ensure your stillages can withstand intended loads and handling processes.
- Accessibility: Easy loading and unloading are essential for efficiency. We offer features such as drop-down gates, removable sides, and stacking options to enhance accessibility.
- Nesting or Stackability: For efficient storage when not in use, we can design your stillages to be nestable or stackable. Removable or Collapsible Post Pallets and Collapsible Metal Pallets (CMPs) are excellent choices to reduce storage and transportation volumes when empty.
- Mobility: If mobility is required, we can incorporate sturdy wheels or castors to handle the intended load and operating conditions.
- Customisation Options: We work with you to accommodate any specific customisation requirements such as colour coding, labelling, or additional accessories. Adding cardholders or RFID tags can further tailor the stillages to your unique needs.
- Safety Features: To prevent accidents or damage during handling and transportation, we include safety features such as rounded edges, non-slip surfaces, and securing mechanisms.
- Cost and Longevity: Balancing initial cost, maintenance, and durability, we aim to offer a product that not only meets your needs but also provides long-term value.
We believe in open communication to ensure your expectations are met, and we’re happy to provide concept designs for approval.
For further insights, explore our related blog posts on “Importance of Providing Detailed Information for Accurate Quoting” and “Guide to Providing Technical Information”.